Tiernan Family Farm, home of Glebe Brethan, the Award Winning Cheese
Glebe Brethan is an artisan cheese made from unpasteurised Montbeliarde cows’ milk at the Tiernan Family Farm, Dunleer, Co. Louth, Ireland. The pedigree cows graze on lush pastures and are fed cereals grown on the farm. It is a gruyere-type cheese made in 45-kilo wheels, which are matured on spruce timbers for 6-18 months. It is carefully hand-turned and salted to form a natural rind, which enhances its unique flavour.
Glebe Brethan Cheese has won the following prestigious awards:
- 2012 Irish Food Writers' Guild Award
- 2011 Euro-toques Award for Raw Milk
- 2011 Gold Medal at Irish Cheese Awards
- 2010 Gold Medal at Irish Cheese Awards
- 2006 Gold Medal at World Cheese Awards
- 2006 Gold Medallist and Award for Best New Cheese at British Cheese Awards
- 2006 Eurotoques Cavan Crystal Food Award
- 2006 Bridgestone Guides Megabytes Award
- 2005 Double Gold at International Food Drink and Catering Exhibition (IFEX)
Glebe Brethan may also be found on the cheeseboards at the following restaurants:
- Ballymaloe Cookery School,Shanagarry, Co Cork.
- The BrookLodge & Wells Spa,Macreddin Village,Co. Wicklow.
- Harrys Restaurant, Bridgend, Inishowen, Co. Donegal
- “Chapter One”, 18-19 Parnell Sq, Dublin 1
- Restaurant Patrick Guilbauld, Dublin 2
- The Clarence, 6-8 Wellington Quay, Dublin 2
- The Dylan, Eastmoreland Place, Dublin 4
- Ballymaloe House, Shanagarry, Co Cork
- Nick's Warehouse, 35-39 Hill Street, Belfast
- The Merchant Hotel, 35-39 Waring St., Belfast
- Left Bank, Dundalk, Co. Louth
- The Mill Restaurant, Lions Demesne, Co. Kildare
- Viewmount House, Dublin Road, Longford
- An Port Mór, Bridge Street, Westport, Co. Mayo
- The Forge Restaurant, Pottlereagh, Kells, Co. Meath
About Glebe Brethan Cheese
Glebe Brethan is a thermophilic, artisan cheese made from unpasteur -ised Montbeliarde cows milk.
At four months Glebe Brethan is mellow, fruity and creamy. Read more...
About Tiernan Family Farm
The farm is situated in the historic and fertile plain between the rivers Boyne and the Dee, site of the famous battle of Ferdia and Cuchullain.
About Our Cows
The Montbeliarde breed originates in the mountainous Jura region of eastern France and their milk is rich in nutrients and therefore excellent for making cheese. Read more...